Taxonomies are key to providing information findability in an intranet, whether through search, browse, or as filters.
To be truly helpful, however, taxonomies need to be well designed to suit the users and use cases and by conforming to taxonomy best practices and standards.
This workshop will present best practices principles in designing taxonomies, including the basics of terms and relationships along with structural design issues, independent of any software or platform.
The workshop will also include practical exercises and demo the use of dedicated taxonomy management software.
– What are the different types of controlled vocabularies and their suitability
– What sources to use for developing taxonomy terms and the recommended process
– How to create terms, their synonyms, and relationships, according to standards and best practices
– How to design hierarchies and facets
– How to govern and maintain a taxonomy